Friday 16 October 2009

Jude Rogers' Interview
(Journalist for NME, The Guardian, and The Word)


Jude Rogers (shown to the left) visited my media lesson and gave some great advice which could help me in creating my music magazine.
Jude Rogers was able to talk with my fellow class mates and I and gave some really helpful advice which could initially develop my music magazine into being more interesting for my target audience. It also gave me a better understanding of what magazine connotations I should include such as my type of writing which could entice my target audience and engage them more into the type of magazine I am going to create.

Jude Rogers gave an insight on how she develops her interviews, explaining how her style of writing changes with different magazines and newspapers she writes for. However, she doesn’t change her particular personal style of writing but more so how she would address the different magazine particular audiences. For example, writing for a teenage magazine would maybe use some slang and informal text, whereas in the Guardian this would not be the case. Also, picking on different genres of writing, such as writing for different media, whether it’s a newspaper or magazine article or an interview, Jude Roger made it clear that you need to know your audience in terms of what information they need and addressing certain subjects to particular audiences. For example, NME readers would most definitely know who the band Muse are, whereas New Statesman readers may not, so the writer would have to go into more depth about the band. However, by writing about different things especially in different genres of media, does not necessarily mean changing your personal writing style.


In every interview Jude Rogers does, she also adds more of an informal approach to it, such as describing particular things the person being interviewed is doing. For example; twitching, fidgeting, eating and their general behaviour. This gives the reader a better insight of what the person being interviewed are like, whether they’re shy or down to earth, etc. The reader of the magazine may find this interesting, as the person being interview may be a high class celebrity where the reader had different perceptions of them. Jude Rogers also spoke about actually giving an interview verbally to a total stranger. Being in a weird environment with somebody you’ve never spoken to could really be a challenge to get information out of them. The key for a good interview is being able to elicit something interesting about them and their lives that hasn’t been exposed or written about before. This would really entice the magazine/ newspapers target audience as they would be able to find out some ‘juicy gossip’ about a celebrity they might like. Imagery included in articles and especially interviews is crucial to capture the audiences’ interests and make it clear who it being highlighted and who the interview is going to be on.

Jude Rogers was really able to help me think about my magazine which I will be creating and what I should be including. For example, I may decide to base my music magazine on not only one genre, but a mix, as readers nowadays are more eclectic than they were many years ago when people only enjoyed one particular genre. People in those days were strongly stereotyped, for example, “Goths” only liked heavy mental. However large portions of the population now enjoy a mix of different music genres which makes me able to create a wider target audience for my magazine. This could be due to teenagers growing up and trying to engage in themselves more.
Thinking about what type of genres I will base my magazine on and who my target audience is aimed at, also made me think about the type of font I will use, as well as colours, catchy phrases, imagery and the type of people shown on my magazine. These are crucial for drawing in the reader, especially to capture not only a specific audience but a wider range of different people maybe, who like different kinds of music. I have already decided to base my magazine on young adults/ teens, preferably females, which then leads onto deciding the type of text I will use. Such as being quite informal, welcoming and not too clever, maybe using some younger text on the front cover, such as “u” instead of “you”.

Overall, from Jude Rogers visiting my media lesson, I think it has made me more able into thinking about the type of magazine I will create. It has directed me more into a pathway where I know the gists of what I want to be included in my magazine.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the way you apply what Jude was saying to your own thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Really insightful, and interesting on the use of language and appealing to specific audiences

    ReplyDelete