Friday 22 January 2010

Music Magazine Evaluation


Media Evaluation- Music Magazine




For my media project I was assigned to create a music magazine including these features; a front cover, a contents page and a double page spread of an article from a music genre of my choice. I chose to conduct a Funky House/ Garage UK genre, directing the audience at females in their teens, more directed at a London audience- as this is where this genre of music is more popular and established.


I have been able to develop my music magazine to fit the original forms and conventions of existing magazines in the media industry by trying to make my media product as realistic as I could. Before creating the media product, I carried out numerous research tasks and was able to develop my knowledge with a better understanding of the magazine industry than I already have- as I previously created a children’s magazine at GCSE media. For example, I researched different types of genres of music magazines, as well as creating a questionnaire on http://www.surveymonkey.com/ which enabled me to send on the questionnaire via the internet on email and social networking sites such as Facebook, getting different people to fill in the survey. This enabled me to discover what was more popular within the general public including; genres of music, affordable prices of magazines, features included in magazines and more. This then helped me to think and choose what type of magazine I would be creating and what I would include in it. I decided to pick a genre of music which I enjoyed listening to, as I would have more knowledge in this area, and furthermore, I would enjoy creating the product, therefore I choose to develop my magazine with a Funky House and Garage genre. I also chose this as I think it’s a fairly popular genre within London for teenagers. As another research task, I researched into the use of PhotoShop which was posted in the blog for the ‘School Magazine’ project. I carried out research on the manipulation of images as I was interested in how models are perceived to be perfect in the media industry. I was shocked when I found a clip on ‘YouTube’ on how editors change images to completely transform the images they use in the media- which relates to the edits I may experiment with when creating the product on PhotoShop: (CLINK LINK) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcFlxSlOKNI&feature=PlayList&p=D0125E3C2C4FC54F&index=0
This clip helped me get a better understanding of how PhotoShop can really change the whole look of someone, and how PhotoShop has affected society, especially with weight problems throughout the media.


My music magazine is able to develop the forms of a real music magazine as I have stuck to the original conventions to create a professional effect, making it seem more realistic. For example, I made sure that the genre of my magazine was represented within the use of imagery, colours, fonts and language that I included within my magazine which are typical conventions of a magazines structure. This was also so that my magazine could attract its target audience to make sure the magazine would be successful. I also stuck to typical conventions throughout the magazine such as, including a barcode on the front cover, a price, the magazines website, the issue number, page numbers, headings, subheadings and more. This made my magazine seem more realistic and well presented for the reader, catching their attention.


My magazine doesn’t particularly represent certain social groups, however it is preferably targeted at teens that enjoy Funky House music, as well as Garage. I wanted to make my magazine welcoming for all different types of teenagers therefore, I didn’t include misunderstanding slang in my text which might only be recognised by a particular social group. I simply represented the genre of music for my magazine, rather than making particular people feel as though the magazine isn’t directed at them which would reduce the magazines popularity.
My music magazine might be distributed by a larger type of media institution, as my magazine involved some mainstream artists in which could be quite expensive to include them, as well as giving interviews etc. Furthermore, a smaller media institution may not necessarily have enough funds to promote the magazine as much is needed to get the magazine established within the industry.


My audience for my music magazine is aimed at females in their teenage years in the UK, mainly in London, as the artists within the magazine are from London and are more established in this area. My magazine represents the target audience (females) through aspects such as the type of people who are included in my magazine- such as girly female artists, as well as the feminine colours, fonts and type of friendly language. I made sure that everything featured in my magazine would try to be of interest to my particular target audience, which I think in the final product it shows this.After I developed ideas and then began creating the project, I found it fairly difficult to begin with as I was introduced to new programmes such as Adobe PhotoShop 7.0- which I had never really used before. I then experimented numerous times so that I could get used to the programme before starting initial ideas for my magazine. Below is some before/ after images when I manipulated them on PhotoShop:

BEFORE -> AFTER


























No comments:

Post a Comment